Versatile Salad Dressing
"This is absolutely my most-used dressing," relates Erlene Cornelius of Spring City, Tennessee. "It's so creamy, mild and versatile—it gives old-fashioned goodness to potato salad, coleslaw and even deviled eggs."
60 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt and mustard; stir in eggs.
- Gradually stir in vinegar and water until smooth. Bring to a boil
- over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, combine desired amount
- of base with an equal amount of mayonnaise. Serve as a dressing for
- potato salad, coleslaw or salad greens. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 3-3/4 cups base.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 tablespoon) equals 131 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.