"This mild blend of spices is good to keep on hand," jots Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon. "It's so versatile—you can use it to coat chicken, pork or even fish."
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- Combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl; cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or freeze for up to 6 months. Yield: 6 batches (3 cups total).
- To prepare chicken: Place 1/2 cup coating mix in shallow bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Originally published as Versatile Coating Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p61
Reviews for Versatile Coating Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review