Vermont Turkey Loaf Recipe
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1. In a small skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, mushrooms and carrot until tender; cool slightly.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the vegetables, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 6-in. x 3-in. loaf.
- 3. Place in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine syrup and mustard; pour half over the turkey loaf. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 165°. Serve with remaining syrup mixture. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 meat loaf equals 292 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 629 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.