- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- GLAZED PECANS:
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. Combine the buttermilk, butter, syrup and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in chopped pecans.
- Pour into two 6-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, bring corn syrup to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in pecan halves until coated. Place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and syrup until smooth. Beat in confectioners' sugar. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with second layer; frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with glazed pecans. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Vermont Maple-Pecan Cake
"My family loved this cake I wouldn't changed a thing very moist I will be making it again for sure"
"Glad I read the reviews first! I tripled the recipe for 2 round 9 inch pans. I also added eggs and baking powder as well as maple extract. Turned out great! No problem getting it out of the pan with grease and flour. Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Will definitely make again!"
"I made this cake but didn't see that it was just six inches so I doubled it for two nine inch squares . it stuck a little but rose just fine . looks tasty haven't eaten it yet ."
"Very disappointed. I had to double the recipe. It stuck to a parchment paper lined pan."
"Awesome cake! I added maple extract to kick up the flavor."
"I was so excited to make this cake for my birthday. It didn't rise, and stuck to the pan. So disappointed."
"I made this cake for my boyfriends birthday, I bought all fresh ingredients. It was really GOOD :)I will definitely make it again!!"