Vermont Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Stir the onion, syrup, salt, mustard, pepper and bacon into the beans.
- 3. Cover and bake at 300° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 317 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Vermont Baked Beans
"I was happy to find this recipe. I've just been put on a special diet & maple syrup is the only natural sweetner I can have. Thank you !!"
"These are similar to the ones my mom used to make. Very delicious."