Vermont Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Stir the onion, syrup, salt, mustard, pepper and bacon into the beans.
- 3. Cover and bake at 300° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 317 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein .
Reviews for Vermont Baked Beans
"I was happy to find this recipe. I've just been put on a special diet & maple syrup is the only natural sweetner I can have. Thank you !!"
"These are similar to the ones my mom used to make. Very delicious."