Vermont Baked Beans Recipe
These baked beans are nothing like the canned variety you may be used to. The rich sauce has wonderful smokiness from chopped bacon and a subtle sweetness from maple syrup.—Elizabeth Horton, Brattleboro, Vermont
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Stir the onion, syrup, salt, mustard, pepper and bacon into the beans.
- 3. Cover and bake at 300° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 317 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC