- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Stir the onion, syrup, salt, mustard, pepper and bacon into the beans.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vermont Baked Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p189
Reviews for Vermont Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 17, 2014
"I was happy to find this recipe. I've just been put on a special diet & maple syrup is the only natural sweetner I can have. Thank you !!"
Reviewed Feb. 14, 2013
"These are similar to the ones my mom used to make. Very delicious."