Vermicelli Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 ounces uncooked vermicelli, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, brown meat and onion in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the water, tomatoes, vegetables, basil, salt and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in vermicelli. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 294 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.