Venison Vegetable Soup
We always seem to have venison in the freezer, so I came up with the recipe for this delicious soup as a different way to use some of that meat. It makes a great lunch or light supper served with garlic bread and a salad.
-Susette Reif, Liberty, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 3/4 pound venison, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, brown venison in oil. Add onion;
- cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Add remaining
- ingredients; cover and simmer 1 hour longer or until meat is tender.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 192 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 801 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.