Venison Tortilla Lasagna Recipe
I always keep a copy of this recipe around, because every time someone new tries this lasagna, they want to make it, too. It freezes well and is excellent for leftovers…if there are any.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook venison over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salsa and taco seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, oregano and cumin.
- 2. Cut tortillas in half; place half of them in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish (tortillas will overlap). Top with half of the meat sauce. Spoon cottage cheese mixture over the top. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC