Here in the Adirondack Mountains of upstate New York, venison is a staple food. My son-in-law supplies me with venison for these savory sandwiches. Prepared this way, the meat becomes very tender. — Patricia El-Zoghbi, Wells, New York
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 venison tenderloin steaks (12 ounces), about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 4 hard rolls, split
- In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in butter and Worcestershire sauce until onions are tender. Flatten steaks to 1/2 in. thick; add to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness. Sprinkle with garlic powder, pepper and salt if desired. Place two steaks on each roll; top with onions and mushrooms. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Venison Tenderloin Sandwiches in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p37
Reviews for Venison Tenderloin Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 15, 2014
"These are very good and I highly recommend it!"