Venison Stew Recipe
I had no choice but to lean to cook some years ago while my wife recuperated from surgery. But I found I really enjoyed trying different recipes and adapting them to my own taste—that's how my now-famous stew recipe came to be! —Gene Pitts, Wilsonville, Alabama
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 10 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds venison stew meat
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 7 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Bottled browning sauce, optional
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and water. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
- 3. Mix flour and cold water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add browning sauce if desired. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 271 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 791 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC