Venison Sausage Meatballs Recipe
These meatballs are a savory blend of ground venison and pork sausage, with water chestnuts for crunch. "This is my husband's favorite venison recipe," says Geraldine Mennear of Mastic, New York. "Even my co-workers, who normally don't like game meat, enjoy it."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 to 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, water chestnuts, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Crumble the venison and sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in batches in 2 teaspoons oil, adding 1 teaspoon oil if needed. Transfer meatballs to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 teaspoon oil until tender. Stir in the broth and 1 cup cold water. Pour over the meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- 4. Remove meatballs and mushrooms with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the meatballs, mushrooms and noodles. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 212 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 780 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC