- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 to 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, water chestnuts, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Crumble the venison and sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in batches in 2 teaspoons oil, adding 1 teaspoon oil if needed. Transfer meatballs to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 teaspoon oil until tender. Stir in the broth and 1 cup cold water. Pour over the meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove meatballs and mushrooms with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the meatballs, mushrooms and noodles. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Venison Meatballs in Taste of Home April/May 2003, p56
Reviews for Venison Sausage Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2009
"This is the best ground venison recipe that I have tried. We use venison a lot so this is a keeper."
Reviewed Feb. 19, 2009
"These were yummy! I didnt add the water chestnuts because I dont like them, but the meatballs were good anyways."