Venison Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless shoulder venison roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil; add the next five ingredients. Cover and simmer for 4 hours or until meat is tender.
- For spaetzle, beat eggs and salt in a medium bowl. With a wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour and milk. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Place dough in a colander or spaetzle maker; place over boiling broth. Press dough with a wooden spoon until bits drop into broth. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain; toss spaetzle with butter. Sprinkle with pepper and keep warm.
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm. Measure 3 cups pan juices; return to pan. Combine water and flour; stir into pan juices. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Slice roast; serve with spaetzle and gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Venison Pot Roast(3)
Sort By :
I dont know about anyone else, but the whole pushing dough through the colander did not work! I had to use a slotted spoon and it was very tedious. Other than that, great recipe!
This was the favorite of me and my children. We had almost no money and hunting relatives supplied us with venison. I read that's it's always proper to serve game to the queen, and we felt rich eating this.
Delicious and easy. I make this every fall (if and when we get a deer) and we loved it so much that I bought a spaetlze maker to make it easier. The meat turned out tender and not gamey and the flavors were complementary. Quite good.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- Gravy Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dishes >
- Roast Recipes >