Venison Pot Roast with Vegetables Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless venison roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 small potatoes, peeled
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1. Combine the first three ingredients; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil. Add the apple juice, broth, onion, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 417 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 145 mg cholesterol, 376 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.