Venison Pot Roast with Vegetables Recipe
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless venison roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 small potatoes, peeled
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Combine the first three ingredients; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil. Add the apple juice, broth, onion, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Venison Pot Roast with Vegetables(2)
Sort By :
Delicious! Used ww flour instead, sea salt, a truly feral wild boar neck roast, rendered boar lard in place of canola, cider, and water instead of broth. I honestly can't think of anything negative to say, it was delicious and easy to follow! The cider I feel is the better choice here; it gives this recipe a truly original flavor; you will look forward to pot roast night!! Try it!
I don't usually care for venison but this recipe has totally changed my mind! My parents couldn't believe it was venison - and my mother has been cooking it for years! This recipe is a keeper for sure.