Venison on Caraway Rolls Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon rye flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- VENISON BARBECUE:
- 1 venison roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried oregano and pepper
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in butter, milk powder, egg, salt and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape into 2-1/2-in. circles. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20-25 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Combine rye flour, coarse salt and caraway seeds; sprinkle over rolls. Bake at 425° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- 5. Place the venison roast in a Dutch oven. In a small bowl, combine the water, ketchup, soup mix, horseradish and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender, turning once.
- 6. Remove roast; let stand for 10 minutes. Shred meat with two forks; keep warm. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan drippings until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return meat to the pan; heat through. Split rolls. Serve meat and gravy on rolls. Yield: 12 sandwiches.
1 each: 283 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein
Reviews for Venison on Caraway Rolls
"Good change using a roast Although I did the roast in the crock pot on low for 8-10 hours. Will defiantly make this again."