"I learned to cook game while my husband was a forestry student," recalls Sheila Reed from Fredericton, New Brunswick. "We lived off the land as much as possible. I still enjoy these savory meatballs in a slightly sweet barbecue sauce. I make a bib batch for an annual pool party and there are never any left."
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground venison
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Crumble venison over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Venison Meatballs in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p60
Reviews for Venison Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review