Venison Meat Loaf
My mother, who claims she can detect venison in any recipe, didn't have a clue it was in this tender meat loaf until we told her after dinner. She raved about this flavorful main dish the entire time she was eating it!
-Liz Gilchrist, Bolton, Ontario
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground venison
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs; add tomato sauce, onion, crumbs,
- salt and pepper. Add venison and mix well. Press into an ungreased
- 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Combine brown sugar, mustard and vinegar;
- pour over meat loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70 minutes or
- until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 204 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 125 mg cholesterol, 799 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4