Use either venison or elk in this recipe, and you'll be pleased with the results! "My husband asks for these fajitas frequently," relates Daniell Rissinger of Dauphin, Pennsylvania. "He enjoys big-game hunting and usually comes home with an elk. To finish off the meal, we add some Mexican rice and corn bread."
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds venison or elk flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and salsa
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five
- ingredients. Add meat. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, saute peppers and
- onion in 1 tablespoon oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil; stir-fry meat for 3-5 minutes or until no longer
- pink. Return vegetables to pan; heat through. Spoon over tortillas;
- top with cheese, sour cream and salsa; fold in sides. Yield: 4