Venison Chili con Carne Recipe
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 pounds venison steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, brown venison in oil; drain. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and sausage mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until venison is tender. Stir in parsley. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 435 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 868 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 46 g protein.
Reviews for Venison Chili con Carne
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.