Venison Cabbage Rolls
"For a good-looking hearty venison entree without a strong game flavor, I recommend these cabbage rolls," says field editor Marcy Cella of L'Anse, Michigan. "They have a moist meaty filling and wonderful old-world flavor."
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook cabbage leaves for 3 minutes;
- drain and set aside. In a skillet over medium heat, cook venison,
- onion, salt and nutmeg until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in
- 1 cup tomato sauce. Place 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf;
- fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up completely to
- enclose filling.
- Cook rice according to package directions; stir in remaining tomato
- sauce. Transfer to a large skillet; add cabbage rolls. Cover and
- simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; heat until cheese
- begins to melt. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 459 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 1,325 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 39 g protein.