Venison Cabbage Rolls Recipe
"For a good-looking hearty venison entree without a strong game flavor, I recommend these cabbage rolls," says field editor Marcy Cella of L'Anse, Michigan. "They have a moist meaty filling and wonderful old-world flavor."
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook cabbage leaves for 3 minutes; drain and set aside. In a skillet over medium heat, cook venison, onion, salt and nutmeg until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce. Place 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Cook rice according to package directions; stir in remaining tomato sauce. Transfer to a large skillet; add cabbage rolls. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; heat until cheese begins to melt. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Venison Cabbage Rolls in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p60
Reviews for Venison Cabbage Rolls(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review