Venezuelan Black Beans Recipe
"My husband and I are missionaries in Venezuela, South America. I found this recipe in a missionary ladies' cookbook," Casandra Falls says. "This dish is traditionally served with cornmeal pancakes and plantains (cooked bananas)."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups (1 pound) black beans
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon beef or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender.
- 2. Drain beans and reserve 2 cups liquid. Return beans and reserved liquid to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients. Remove half of the bean mixture and mash well; return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans reach desired consistency. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup equals 126 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC