Venezuelan Black Beans Recipe
- 2 cups (1 pound) black beans
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon beef or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender.
- 2. Drain beans and reserve 2 cups liquid. Return beans and reserved liquid to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients. Remove half of the bean mixture and mash well; return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans reach desired consistency. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup: 126 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Venezuelan Black Beans
"I've never made anything other than canned black beans. My boyfriend and I were pleased with this tasty dish."