- 2 cups (1 pound) black beans
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon beef or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to the pan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender.
- Drain beans and reserve 2 cups liquid. Return beans and reserved liquid to Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients. Remove half of the bean mixture and mash well; return to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans reach desired consistency. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Venezuelan Black Beans in Light & Tasty April/May 2003, p15
Reviews for Venezuelan Black Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 6, 2013
"I've never made anything other than canned black beans. My boyfriend and I were pleased with this tasty dish."