Venetian Rice Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 pound fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the rice; saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the broth, water, basil, seasoned salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender (some liquid will remain).
- 3. Stir in peas. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 221 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Venetian Rice
"This makes a very nice, tasty, easy side dish."