This is a great dish when you want a change from potatoes. It is one of my family's favorites.—Nita Cinquina, Surprise, Arizona
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 pound fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the rice; saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, water, basil, seasoned salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until rice is tender (some liquid will remain).
- Stir in peas. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Venetian Rice in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p170
Reviews for Venetian Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2010
"This makes a very nice, tasty, easy side dish."