Veggie Tuna Melts Recipe
"I created this recipe when I got married 20 years ago and have served it countless times since then," writes Marilyn Smelser of Albany, Oregon, "Sometimes I add a little chili powder, heap the tuna mixture over tortilla chips instead and microwave for hearty nachos."
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 4-1/2 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the tuna, red pepper, mushrooms, cheese and olives. Fold in mayonnaise. Spread over English muffin halves. Top each with a tomato slice.
- 2. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving equals 165 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 413 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC