Veggie-Topped Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1. Cut steak into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil and butter on both sides. Transfer meat to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar; pour over meat.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup sauce equals 287 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Veggie-Topped Swiss Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.