- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut steak into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil and butter on both sides. Transfer meat to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now