Veggie-Topped Polenta Slices Recipe
- 1 tube (1 pound) polenta, cut into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook polenta in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 9-11 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until tender. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, basil and parsley; heat through. Serve with polenta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
3 polenta slices with 1 cup vegetable mixture equals 222 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.