Veggie Tomato Juice
Gather fresh vegetables from your garden and blend this thick and mellow beverage. "A friend gave me the recipe years ago, and I've been making it ever since," says Marge Hodel of Roanoke, Illinois. "It's also wonderful in recipes that call for tomato juice."
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 16 cups quartered ripe tomatoes (about 7 pounds)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked peeled beets
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, combine all the ingredients; crush
- the tomatoes slightly. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and
- simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender, stirring
- frequently. Cool.
- Press mixture through a food mill or fine sieve. Refrigerate or
- freeze. Shake or stir well before serving. Yield: 4-1/2 pints.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (6 ounces) equals 100 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 669 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.