Veggie Tomato Juice Recipe
- 16 cups quartered ripe tomatoes (about 7 pounds)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked peeled beets
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, combine all the ingredients; crush the tomatoes slightly. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Cool.
- 2. Press mixture through a food mill or fine sieve. Refrigerate or freeze. Shake or stir well before serving. Yield: 4-1/2 pints.
One serving (6 ounces) equals 100 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 669 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.