Veggie Tacos Recipe
Our Test Kitchen stuffed these yummy Vegetarian Tacos with a blend of sauteed cabbage, peppers and black beans so flavorful and filling you won’t even miss the meat! Let the kids top their own with avocado (aguacate), cheese (queso)—or a dollop of sour cream (crema agria). (And if they’re taking Spanish in school, you might even let the them print out a Spanish label for each garnish.)
- 8 taco shells
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1. Heat taco shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the cabbage, onion and red pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with sugar.
- 2. Stir in the beans, salsa, chilies, chili powder, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into taco shells. Garnish with cheese and avocado. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 438 calories, 23 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 791 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC