Our Test Kitchen stuffed these yummy Vegetarian Tacos with a blend of sauteed cabbage, peppers and black beans so flavorful and filling you won’t even miss the meat! Let the kids top their own with avocado (aguacate), cheese (queso)—or a dollop of sour cream (crema agria). (And if they’re taking Spanish in school, you might even let the them print out a Spanish label for each garnish.)
- 8 taco shells
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Heat taco shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the cabbage, onion and red pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Stir in the beans, salsa, chilies, chili powder, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into taco shells. Garnish with cheese and avocado. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetarian Tacos in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006, p23
Reviews for Veggie Tacos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review