- 2 cups sushi rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- Bamboo sushi mat
- 7 nori sheets
- 1 small cucumber, julienned
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and julienned
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup julienned daikon radish
- Reduced-sodium soy sauce and prepared wasabi
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water; let stand for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer rice to a large shallow bowl; drizzle with vinegar mixture. With a wooden paddle or spoon, stir rice with a slicing motion to cool slightly. Cover with a damp cloth to keep moist. (Rice mixture may be made up to 6 hours ahead and stored at room temperature, covered with a damp towel. Do not refrigerate.)
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Place sushi mat on a work surface so mat rolls away from you; line with plastic wrap. Place 2/3 cup rice on plastic; with moistened fingers, press rice into an 8-in. square. Top with one nori sheet.
- Arrange a small amount of vegetables and avocado about 1-1/2 in. from bottom edge of nori sheet. Lifting bottom edge of the bamboo mat, roll up the rice mixture jelly-roll style, being sure to lift plastic from rice. Roll bamboo mat over sushi roll, pressing firmly, to make a more compact roll. When the roll is complete, tighten the roll to make more compact. Remove mat; cover roll and set aside. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make seven rolls.
- Cut each into six pieces. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi. Yield: 42 rolls.
Originally published as Veggie Sushi Rolls in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p204
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Veggie Sushi Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review