Veggie-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 small carrot
- 1/2 celery rib, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in. shell, scoop out and reserve pulp. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, cover and process the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and reserved pulp until finely chopped. In large skillet, saute vegetable mixture and oregano in oil until tender. Add wine or broth; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil.
- 3. Stuff tomatoes; replace tops. Place in a shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
1 stuffed tomato equals 182 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 234 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.