- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 small carrot
- 1/2 celery rib, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Leaving a 1/2-in. shell, scoop out and reserve pulp. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, cover and process the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and reserved pulp until finely chopped. In large skillet, saute vegetable mixture and oregano in oil until tender. Add wine or broth; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and basil.
- Stuff tomatoes; replace tops. Place in a shallow baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Veggie-Stuffed Tomatoes
Sort By :
Good base for a stuffing, I added quite a few things like sunflower seeds, raisins, scallions, etc, you can check out my exact recipe at imreallywritingafoodblog.wordpress.com
A great summer time recipe for when your garden explodes.
Very good, I added a bit of worcestershire sauce instead of broth or wine to give it a bit of a zing. My girlfriend loved it.
Good recipe! Healthy and light on calories. Would probably taste good stuffed into a portobello mushroom.
I did this recipe last night, was very delicious, my husband loved it... Heavenly flavor, and very easy!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >