Veggie Steak Salad Recipe
- 2 medium ears sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add corn; boil 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain and immediately place corn in ice water for about 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry; cut the kernels from the cobs.
- 2. Meanwhile, rub steak with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook steak in 2 tablespoons oil 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. For dressing, combine vinegar, garlic powder, capers, mustard and remaining oil in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well.
- 4. Thinly slice beef across the grain. In a large bowl, combine salad greens, tomato, onion, parsley, corn and beef. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (2 cups) equals 301 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.