“This salad just explodes with flavors,” writes Tiffany Martinez. And the reader from Aliso Viejo, California also likes it because it's fast. “It's easy and quick to prepare, tastes delicious, and is a healthy dinner all on one plate!”
- 2 medium ears sweet corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add corn; boil 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain and immediately place corn in ice water for about 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry; cut the kernels from the cobs.
- Meanwhile, rub steak with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook steak in 2 tablespoons oil 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- For dressing, combine vinegar, garlic powder, capers, mustard and remaining oil in a jar with a tight-fitting lid; shake well.
- Thinly slice beef across the grain. In a large bowl, combine salad greens, tomato, onion, parsley, corn and beef. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Steak Salad in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007, p44
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Veggie Steak Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 8, 2013
"I also added some blue cheese and walnuts. Very good combination of flavors."