Veggie Steak Fajitas Recipe
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 pound), thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Optional ingredients: Shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Sprinkle beef with cumin and salt. In a large skillet, saute beef in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute onion and peppers in remaining oil until tender. Stir in cilantro. Return beef to the pan; heat through.
- 3. Spoon onto tortillas; fold in sides. Serve with lettuce, tomato and sour cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 fajita (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 344 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 299 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.