Veggie Sausage Strata Recipe
As a retired home economics teacher, I've made quite a few recipes through the years. This hearty casserole in a favorite of my family. —Dorothy Erickson, Blue Eye, Missouri
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 2 medium green peppers. coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 12 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard. Stir in the sausage mixture, bread, spinach, cheeses and zucchini.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC