- 2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2 medium green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 12 slices bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, green peppers and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard. Stir in the sausage mixture, bread, spinach, cheeses and zucchini.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Veggie Sausage Strata
"Excellent recipe! We made this when we had overnight guests and it was so nice to be able to pop it in the oven then next morning instead of slaving in the kitchen. Added about 1 cups of mushrooms to the recipe and it turned out great!"
"I really liked the taste of the recipe. I didn't use anywhere near the same amount of sausage because of the sodium but I did use one of the chicken apple sausages and diced it really fine for more flavor. I also used no sodium bread and as dense as the brand I buy is, it really helped in this recipe. It soaked up more of the water in the zucchini. I was a little afraid it would dry out the casserole but it didn't. Since there are two of us, I made only 1//2 the recipe in a pie plate. I did not make it all and freeze half because zucchini can be very mushy when frozen."