Veggie Salmon Chowder Recipe
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup flaked smoked salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- 2. Stir in spinach, salmon and jalapeno; cook 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 202 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 645 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.