This salmon chowder recipe came about as a way to use up odds and ends in my fridge. I thought other readers might enjoy a recipe that began as an experiment but became a mainstay for me. —Liv Vors, Peterborough, Ontario
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup flaked smoked salmon fillet
- 1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Dash pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Stir in spinach, salmon and jalapeno; cook 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Salmon Chowder in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p39
Reviews for Veggie Salmon Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review