Short grain rice is preferred when making this classic Italian dish. Arborio rice is the most widely available short grain rice to use.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped yellow summer squash
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add the rice; cook and stir for 1 minute or until rice is glossy and coated with butter. Stir in wine; cook for 2 minutes or until wine is absorbed.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Risotto in 1-2-3 Meal Planner 2009, p166
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Veggie Risotto
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2014
"Delicious! My children loved it (and they usually have a hard time eating squash)."