Veggie Pockets Recipe
"Even our five children enjoy the crunchy vegetable filling in these handy meatless sandwiches," remarks June Ballard of Weston, Idaho. "It's a great way to use a variety of garden produce."
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cauliflowerets, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup each grated carrot, red cabbage and yellow summer squash
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1. In a saucepan, cook onions in oil until tender. Add barbecue sauce; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower; heat through. Stir in mayonnaise, carrot, cabbage and squash; heat through.
- 2. Fill each pita half with about 2 tablespoons lettuce and 1/2 cup vegetable mixture. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 143 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Veggie Pockets
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC