"Even our five children enjoy the crunchy vegetable filling in these handy meatless sandwiches," remarks June Ballard of Weston, Idaho. "It's a great way to use a variety of garden produce."
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cauliflowerets, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup each grated carrot, red cabbage and yellow summer squash
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a saucepan, cook onions in oil until tender. Add barbecue sauce; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower; heat through. Stir in mayonnaise, carrot, cabbage and squash; heat through.
- Fill each pita half with about 2 tablespoons lettuce and 1/2 cup vegetable mixture. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Pockets in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p17
Reviews for Veggie Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2010
"A very tasty, quick, and easy weeknight dinner - with lots of healthy veggies to boot! I used Vegenaise vegan mayo and butternut squash, and halved the recipe, since there were only two of us."