- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 2 cups cauliflowerets, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup each grated carrot, red cabbage and yellow summer squash
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a saucepan, cook onions in oil until tender. Add barbecue sauce; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cauliflower; heat through. Stir in mayonnaise, carrot, cabbage and squash; heat through.
- Fill each pita half with about 2 tablespoons lettuce and 1/2 cup vegetable mixture. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Pockets in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p17
Reviews for Veggie Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2010
"A very tasty, quick, and easy weeknight dinner - with lots of healthy veggies to boot! I used Vegenaise vegan mayo and butternut squash, and halved the recipe, since there were only two of us."