Veggie Pizza with Herbed Tomato Crust Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small saucepan, heat the water, tomato juice and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°. Punch dough down; roll into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a 14-in. pizza pan coated with cooking spray; build up edges slightly.
- 4. Spread with pizza sauce. Top with green pepper, mushrooms, onion, tomato and cheese. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned. Yield: 6 slices.
1 slice equals 240 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 370 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.