Veggie Nicoise Salad Recipe
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound small red potatoes, halved
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 bunches romaine, torn
- 6 hard-cooked large eggs, quartered
- 1 jar (6-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup Nicoise or Kalamata olives
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients; set aside.
- 2. Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Drizzle warm potatoes with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette; toss to coat and set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cook for 2-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. With tongs, remove asparagus and immediately place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 4. Return water to a boil. Add green beans; cook for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove beans and place in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the kidney beans, onion and 1 tablespoon vinaigrette; toss to coat. Set aside.
- 6. Just before serving, toss asparagus with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette; toss green beans with 2 teaspoons vinaigrette. Place romaine in a large bowl; drizzle with remaining vinaigrette and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving platter; arrange vegetables, kidney bean mixture, eggs, artichoke hearts and olives over lettuce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 431 calories, 26 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 212 mg cholesterol, 565 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.