There’s plenty of herb and mushroom flavor for friends and family to savor in this hearty, healthful side dish. It would go well with a variety of meats and main dishes. Tammy Condit – League City, Texas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the onion, peppers and celery in oil for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 3 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the rice, water and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Carefully transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Mushroom Rice in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p52
Reviews for Veggie Mushroom Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2009
"I served this with bbq ribs and it was a nice change from typical baked beans. Next day it was served as a salad - cold with some asparagus and lemon juice added."